May 14 2009: FINA (the guys that make the rules for the world of swimming) met in Dubai 12-14 March 2009.
What did they decide at the meeting? A lot, including approval of video-replay for stroke judges and the Dubai Charter, which is amendments to the FINA Swimwear Approval Procedures.
The new suit rules:
- Limit the suit coverage to below the neck and not past the shoulder or ankle.
- Limit material thickness to 1mm.
- Define and limit suit buoyancy (and who will measure it).
- Prohibit suits from providing any type of pain reduction or stimulation.
- Prohibit suits from being customized for individual swimmers.
- Prohibit swimmers from wearing multiple suits.
- Starting in 2010, prohibit suits from having more than 50% of their surface area covered in non-permeable materials or no more than 25% each of the upper or lower portion of a suit.